Saturday 21 February 2009

Just In Case


Our boiler has been broken for over a week. The heating part is fine, but if we try and get hot water, it runs for 30 seconds and then turns icy cold. And that's that. It usually happens when I'm in the shower, which fills me with a great fury that takes a good few hours to wear off. The plumber the agency sent is an idiot. He's been out and 'fixed' it twice, and the third time, he left me waiting in all day only to phone at 7pm to tell me he can't come out because it's 7pm. He did, however, instruct me (I'm not an engineer or a plumber, by the way) to turn certain valves under the boiler (there were five, and I was supposed to know which two were the right ones) to restore the pressure temporarily. I was a bit scared about blowing myself up, but fiddled with the various valves anyway, while he talked to me like I was stupid for not being Corgi registered and not knowing the lingo.

He imparted this 'valve fiddling' knowledge to me on Wednesday, and I've used it 2-3 times a day since, as hot water needs have arisen. In the back of my mind, though, there is a niggling fear that the boiler is going to explode some time soon. So this is a 'just in case' post. Just in case this blog goes quiet and you happen to hear that there was a boiler catastrophe in Derby city centre, I'm putting it out there that it's all Stu the Plumber's fault. Lock him up and throw away the key!

No comments: